Strawberry Says He "Would Have" Done Steroids

Talk about a topic for the water cooler this morning! If former Met and Yankee Darryl Strawberry is nothing else, he is honest; you have to give him that. On Tuesday, Strawberry told reporters that he would have taken steroids if they were available in the 1980's.

"Hell, yeah! I would have used them!" Strawberry was quoted in the New York Post. "I'm not saying that was the right thing to do, but if that was going on in the era of the '80s, it definitely ... would have been in my system too."

I guess Strawberry was not close to Jose Canseco or Mark McGwire, both of whom played baseball in the 1980's and were pretty, pretty, pretty big.

It is not suprising that Strawberry would say this; this is a man who had struggled for years with addictions to drugs and alcohol, so who's to say Strawberry would not have tried steroids if presented the opportuntiy. Then again, who is to say that he never took them ...

Here are some disturbing quotes from Strawberry on Tuesday: "I probably would have been part of it, too, and I wouldn't have denied it because you guys know I don't deny anything."

During the 1990's when steroids were becoming more rampant, Strawberry claims that he never took steroids because he was too old. "I was late in the game. If you'd caught me when I was 24 or 25 in the midst of my career, of course, I wound have taken steroids. I was naive. I was stupid."

Gee, I guess Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Mark McGwire and Rafael Palemero never got the memo. Don't do steroids, boys, unless you are 24 or 25 because you are just too old to matter.

I believe Strawberry's quotes as much as I believe any CEO of a mortgage firm who claims that my account is in good hands and not to worry about the down market. Thank you, Darryl, for sticking your foot into your own mouth. If Strawberry did take steroids, he would have denied it just like everyone else has denied it since this witch hunt began.

Strawberry also condones A-Rod's admission that he was "young and stupid" at the age of 24, 25 and 26, the years that A-Rod claims he took steroids. "I could relate to him, because I was stupid, too, when I was 24, 25, 26 years old. I did a lot of stupid things," said Strawberry.

All of this as a backdrop to Strawberry visiting the Mets as a guest instructor. I wonder how that session will go? Maybe something like this:

Player 1: "Mr. Strawberry, I want to become a better player. I am only 5'4" and 132 pounds. People call me Tiny Tim. What should I do? Can I take steroids?"

Strawberry: "Sure thing kid. If I had the chance to do it, I would have done it. Go for it."
Player 2: "I am 28 years old, and I want a quick fix. Can steroids help?"
Strawberry: "Kid, I was young and stupid too at 28."

Strawberry should be complimented for being honest, but the fact remains that some of his quotes are so fishy that he is opening up a Pandora's Box on his own career. Strawberry should have dodged the question, if not, He should have just tried to end the conversation by simply saying he never took steroids.

Comments