Glazer: Strahan Tells G-Men Thanks But No Thanks

Looks like Michael Strahan will stay retired after all. A day after his agent fielded an offer from the Giants to return to the Meadowlands as a saviour, after the sudden injury to lineman Osi Umenyoria, Strahan offically turned down the Giants offer.


In Jay Glazer's article on Fox Sports.com, he quotes Strahan as saying: "This has been one of the toughest nights of my life," Strahan said from Greece. "But after long deliberation and throwing around a million scenarios in my head for the past day, I think it's just best if I stay retired.
"I have gone back and forth on this because as a player you'll always want to play, you'll never lose that urge to be out there. But I could only do this if I could commit 100 percent, physically, mentally, emotionally and I can't do that. I've tried to convince myself and my body to give it one more year, but in the end I just don't think I could turn it on like I need to again" (Glazer).




This should not be surprising. It is hard for a professional athlete to suddenly turn on the jets after shutting the game out of his mind for several months. The guy is in great shape to live a normal life, but it is not a good enough shape to survive the punching, smacking, kicking, and body slamming of the NFL. Strahan has his health and has to pay child support, it would not be a good idea for him to go out onto an NFL field to play, when he his not phyisically prepared - he would risk serious injury.

Comments