Tearful Good-Bye: Mike & Mad Dog Final Minutes Together

It was a really sad radio show this afternoon as the "Mike and the Mad Dog Radio Show" concluded for the final time as a tearful Christopher Russo called in at around 1:20 pm to say good-bye to his long time partner and millions of loyal listeners.

The show opened with the familiar Mike and the Mad Dog jingle followed by a tape recording of Russo's always familiar "A...AAAAAAAAAA...ND Good Afternoon Everybody, how are you today, weclome to the Mike and the Mad Dog program..." only to be interupted by a mournful Francesa who confirmed the news that the show is now over.

"For 19 years that is how we welcomed this program to New York everyday," said Francessa after the recording was played.

"The response to me has been overwelming," said Francesa, "We started this program on Sept. 5, 1989. It was a shotgun wedding. We did not get along very well in the beginning. The show was considered to be a colossal misjudgment within the first couple of weeks. Within nine months it was the toast of the town. Fortunately for Dog and myself it has remained that way for these many years. For many of you, and for me and I know for Dog this is a very sad occasion."

Francesa said that the two have only had five or six quarrals in 19 years, and that the two didnot split because they could not get along anymore. Russo left because of an new "opportunity" beckoned and he had to take advantage of it, since he is only 48 years old with four small children.

"Over 19 years we experienced a lot here," said Francesa, "We have gone through marriages, the birth of seven children...with you, with us all the while. We became a part of the fabric of this great city."

"I will put together a new program with new elements. I said that I did not want a new partner and I won't; that's not the idea," Francesa admitted.

"I know what you (the people) are feeling. This show has been a part of my heart for years," said Francesa. "It has been a pleasure doing it. It has been an honor doing it."

Both Francesa and Russo had contracts that were running out. Francesa said that it was important for him to finish his career at WFAN, so he signed a five-year extension. He will be 59 when the contract ends in 2013.

"A lot of opportunites present themselves. I really wanted to stay and finish my career here. It was really important to me," said Francesa. "Dog decided to take a different avenue; nothing wrong with that. We made have had our ups and downs, but it didn't mean we couldn't work together."

At about 1:20 pm, Francesa broke company rules a bit, and invited Russo on the program, via telephone, to say good-bye to everyone. Russo was very emotional, breaking into tears and crying for about a minute over the phone.

"I'm 48, its time for a little change personally," said Russo, "I think you will do very well. Sooner or later you will find out what I am going to do. It was the right move at the right time."

"I love that talk show. I love those fans," said Russo. "I am going to miss the hottness of that New York topic. This is a very, very tough call."

"I think you and I did a good job, inspite of our problems. Mike knows me better than he knows Roe (Francesa's wife) and I know Jeanne (Russo's wife). I am going to miss that show," as Russo broke into tears.

"I could not be prouder than of the work we put together over the last 19 years. "Mike and the Mad Dog" happens to you once in a lifetime. It has been a very special gift," said Francesa.

You can listen to the entire 40 minute opening on WFAN.com. In the meantime I will scower Yes Network.com and Youtube for a video of the opening to this great and wonderful program from today.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!