Joe Torre Denies He Ever Had Interest In Mets

Now Joe Torre says he never said he was curious about the Mets managerial job, even though millions of people heard differently when he was interviewed by WFAN.

Torre tried to back track after current Mets manager Jerry Manuel lashed out questioning Torre's integrity about inquiring about his job.

"I apologize," Torre told reporters before the Dodgers played the Padres last night in Los Angeles. "He is right that I shouldn't have said that, and I don't think I did. Somebody asked me if I would take a call from [Mets owner] Fred Wilpon. I have known Fred Wilpon forever. I won't be managing the Mets, I thought I made that clear."

That somebody was Mike Francesa, and Torre did indeed say he was interested in the Mets job - but lets pretend like Torre does that he never said that.

This is how these things work. Met fan shouldn't get too upset in believing that Torre isn't interested. He is only saying that to protect himself legally. Until proven otherwise, Torre is still a candidate for the job.

Comments