Rex Ryan now thinks he's Babe Ruth


Oh happy day, here we go again!


With the NFL under total lockdown with the players taking on the owners in a antitrust lawsuit that could cancel the 2011 NFL season, it has not stopped Jets coach Rex Ryan from mouthing off.


It has been widely reported that Ryan predicted that the Jets would win Super Bowl XLVI, next February, after Gang Green got the axe in the AFC title game for the second straight season.


Yet, even with the stench of defeat still in the air, Ryan still believes he can talk the talk, this time comparing himself to Babe Ruth.


"They talk about walk softly and carry a big stick. I love that. I agree with that 100%," Ryan said, standing outside the hotel at the NFL league meetings. "But I guess I feel more like Babe Ruth. I'm going to walk softly, I'm going to carry that big stick and then I'm going to point and then I'm going to hit it over the fence," Ryan said.


"Now granted, I can't hit anywhere close to Babe Ruth and I'm not as good a coach as Babe Ruth was a player. But I still feel the same way. I still feel like, why wouldn't I say it? It's easier for me to say it because I have people with me. Babe Ruth had to walk up there by himself. But if everything was up to me and that we were going to win (if) I'd hit one out, I believe myself I'm going to hit it out. More importantly, I believe in everybody - our players, our coaches, the fan base we have established here, everybody in the organization," Ryan concluded. (Daily News).


Don't blame Ryan for any lack of confidence in his football team. They did accomplish something no other Jets team has ever done, by going to back-to-back AFC title games, but it is very hard to get back a third time around.


Ryan better be right. A lot of teams have been to multiple championship games, and have failed to get it done. The Buffalo Bills of the 1990s went to four straight Super Bowls losing all four. The Philadelphia Eagles from 1999-2004 went to five NFL title games, losing four of them. The only one they won in 2004, the Eagles lost the Super Bowl to New England.


Ryan should quiet down, because there is still no guarantee that there will even be a season next fall -- when his player return to camp, if they do this year at all, then he can pound his chest all he wants.


Comments