Gary Carter's cancer condition gets worse

Former Mets legend and Hall of Famer Gary Carter has received some very bad news about his battle with brain cancer.

Doctors at Duke University who have been treating Carter discovered new spots and tumors on his brain; the catcher's condition has worsened over the past several weeks. Reports are that Carter has suffered from headaches, fatigue and even fell down on Christmas and tore his rotator cuff.

The Daily News reports that Carter is so weak that he was unable to attend a charity golf tournament in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.

"I'm not feeling too good," he told The News. "It's been coming on and coming on. I've had a chest cold. I've got sores in my mouth, blood clots. I get sick ... there's just so many things ... It's been nine months now and I don't feel any different from Day One. I haven't been up to doing any interviews."

Carter has been battling cancer since May.

If the Mets were smart, they would consider retiring Carter's number 8. The number has not been worn too often since Carter left the Mets in the early 1990's, and considering the impact that he had on this club in the 1980's, the Mets should give him a day to honor his career with the franchise. Then again, we are talking about the Wilpons.

Comments