Happy New Year 2017! Just like that 2016 is about to come to an end in just hours -- leaving us with a period of reflection of what was and foresight of what is to be. 2016 was a crazy year, both in sports and in life.
To some it was a rough year -- we saw a lot of well known celebrities pass away -- such is life.
It was also a year where the impossible became possible. The Cavs won their first NBA title. LeBron James actually delivered on his promise to the city of Cleveland. The Cubs won the World Series. Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton to win the presidency, and the Cleveland Browns actually won a game!
Yes, 2016 will never be forgotten -- it was a historic year no matter how you slice it. The question is what does 2017 hold?
Let's make 17 fun sports predictions!
1) The Jets won't fire Todd Bowles next week. Sorry Jets fans, you won't get your wish. The reports will hold true and Todd Bowles will return to coach your team in 2017. Here's to 2018 Jets fans.
2) The New York Giants will get whacked in the wild card game. I predict that the Giants will get the Packers in the wild card game next week, and Green Bay will pound Big Blue into the off-season. The Giants lack of a sound running game, offensive line and overall consistency will do them in.
4) The Packers and Patriots will play in Super Bowl 51. Brady vs. Rodgers -- that is all.
5) The Yankees will win the AL East. You heard me. The Yankees with all that young talent will beat out the Red Sox for the AL East crown in 2017.
6) The Mets will miss the playoffs. Not totally surprising, but I need to see it to believe it with the Mets. Too many questions about the health of their starting rotation, and an infield that bares too many question marks as well.
7) The Cubs become the first team since the 2000 Yankees to repeat as World Series champs. Call me a shill or one with a lack of imagination, but I'll say that the Chicago Cubs dominance in 2016 will carry over into 2017 and they will repeat as World Series champs.
8) The rift between Carmelo Anthony and Phil Jackson leads to Anthony finally getting traded ... to Houston.
9) The Warriors lose to the Spurs in the Western Conference Finals.
10) The Cleveland Cavs roll over the East, and get upset by the Spurs in the Finals. LeBron cries a lot.
11) The New York Rangers ... ah, nobody cares about them anyway.
12) Tony Romo gets his release from the Cowboys signs with the Broncos. Get's hurt shaking John Elway's hand.
13) Mark Sanchez gets released by Dallas, signs with in Montreal of the Canadian Football League and gets traded to the circus.
14) Rex Ryan joins Jon Gruden on ESPN MNF. (Not enough oxygen in the booth).
15) Tim Tebow gets released by the Mets. (Thank God!)
16) Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens inch closer to a realistic entry into the Hall of Fame, causing Twitter and the world to explode.
17) The Cleveland Browns will ruin the career of another young college quarterback!