Odell Beckham Proves Giants Were Right to Trade Him

Odell Beckham Jr. just won't let it go.

Like his uncanny ability to haul in and hold onto footballs with one hand, he refuses to let go of the animosity that developed between himself and his former employer the New York Giants, who traded him in March to the Cleveland Browns.

Beckham unloaded on Big Blue in a feature piece in GQ Magazine where he claims the Giants "disrespected him" and the only reason the Giants got any attention during the past six years was because of his talents.

This is me being honest: This team has not been good for the last six years,’’ Beckham said. “Period. Even the year we went to the playoffs and everyone was talking about this and that. And we went there, and I didn’t have a great playoff game. Don’t get me wrong, I had a terrible game. But I left the game with seven targets, and I’m supposed to be your number one receiver. I left the game with seven targets. We lost. They scored 40 points. It’s just all bad."

Funny Beckham should say this considering the majority of those targets he dropped on critical plays. He had only one catch the entire day, and once the game ended, he decided to put his fist through the wall in the locker room. Let us not forget that Beckham's playoff disaster followed a week of partying on a yacht with teammates and Justin Bieber in South Beach. But, hey, whom I to criticize Beckham, A.K.A. Mr. Wonderful? 

Continued Beckham: “I felt disrespected, because I felt like I was a main reason at keeping that brand alive. They were getting prime-time games, still, as a 5-and-11 team. Why? Because people want to see the show. You want to see me play. That’s just real rap. I’m not sitting here like, ‘It’s because of me.’ But let’s just be real. That’s why we’re still getting prime-time games. I felt disrespected they weren’t even man enough to even sit me down to my face and tell me what’s going on.’’

Eh, wrong Mr. Beckham, the Giants were getting prime time games because ... well ... they are the Giants. Certainly people enjoyed watching Beckham play in primetime, most of it based off one catch he had against the Cowboys his rookie year, but the real reason the Giants were in primetime was because of who they are. The Giants have been historically one of the better teams in the sport and they play in a division with perennial playoff contenders in the Cowboys and Eagles. But let's keep the Beckham fantasy going shall we? 

Beckham later praised Giants owner John Mara and lambasted GM Dave Gettleman and head coach Pat Shurmur. 

“I’ll forever have respect for Mr. Mara,’’ Beckham said. “Everything he’s ever done for me, he’s shown nothing but love. But then to be called like that and then be texted by your coach and be like, ‘Oh, yeah, I heard the news.’ Yeah, you heard the news? It happened because of you. The reason I’m gone is because of you. On the other side of it, I was excited about a new start because I had been — honestly, I had been praying to God the season before this season for a change.’’

Beckham said he felt the Giants soured on him soon after he signed the new deal.“I really felt like: Why did we even sign this contract?’’ he said. “Why did we do this deal to not feel long-term. I would be up and down the sidelines saying that, like, ‘Why did you sign me?’ ’’

So let me get this right, Beckham praises the owner but criticizes the GM and head coach? Who does he think gave the final approval to make the trade? Mara did. The owner is always consulted on matters like this.  The last time a delusional wide receiver had this kind of take, Keyshawn Johnson blamed Al Groh for his trade from the Jets to Tampa Bay back in 2000, when the guy who in fact traded him was Bill Parcells. 

Beckham also revealed that he considered retirement when he was 24 years old, and that he was frustrated being a Giant. Well if that is the case, then those frustrations certainly pre-date Gettleman and Shurmur don't they? 

The Giants are better off without this clown around the building. He was a clubhouse cancer in every sense of the word who cared more about himself then the team. Those facts are evident in the comments he made to GQ.  

Now Beckham takes his antics to Cleveland where he gets to be on one of the most highly combustable teams in the sport with other divas like Landry Jones and Baker Mayfield, and a rookie head coach who thinks he is Rex Ryan Redux. And everyone thinks the Browns are going to leapfrog the Steelers and Ravens in the AFC North. I have my doubts. Get your popcorn ready for the three-ring circus in Cleveland. 

Meanwhile the Giants will kick back and focus on getting ready for a new season without any headaches beyond trying to find out if Eli Manning has anything left in his right arm. 



Comments