Max Scherzer Scratched from Start vs. Reds

 Mets starter Max Scherzer has been scratched from his start against the Cincinnati Reds over neck spasms. 

The latest setback, although it is believed not to be too serious, is the latest in a long line of setbacks for the former Cy Young Award winner. 


 "It's easy to be frustrated by it, but at the end of the day, there's nothing I did. It wasn't like I'm doing something stupid or something like that," Scherzer said. "I literally just did my workouts and could feel it coming on, tried to get in front of it and then I didn’t. It blew up on me. There’s literally zero to regret. There’s no second-guessing of anything I’ve done. It just happened."

David Peterson is making the start as a result.  

Manager Buck Schowalter also confirmed that Justin Verlander tried to persuade him to make the start tonight on short rest, but the Mets opted to go with a well rested Peterson. 

Scherzer has seen one start pushed back due to soreness this year, and was suspended 10 games for an illegal substance on his hands against the Dodgers. Overall, Scherzer is pitching to a 5.56 ERA and has not looked anything like the pitcher he once was. 

Hey, at least the Mets signed ex-Yankee Gary Sanchez whom they optioned to Triple-A Syracuse.


 

Comments